'Modals' are helping verbs and also known as Modal Auxiliary verbs and Modal verbs. Modals are different from normal verbs. They are used with the Main verbs to express permission, ability, obligation, possibility, probability, necessity, uncertainty and so on.
Modal sahaayak kriyaa hai aur inhe Modal Auxiliary verb our Modal Verb se bhee jaanaa jaataa hai. Modal sadhaaraN Verb se
alag hote haiN. Inakaa prayog mukhya verb ke saath aagyaa, yogyataa, sambhaavanaa, aavashyakataa, anishchitataa aadi ko vyakt karane ke liye
kiyaa jaataa hai.
Important Points about Modals
1. Modals are used as Helping (Auxiliary) verb with Main verb.
2. Subject Number (Singular or Plural) and Subject Person (Ist Person/2nd Person/3rd Person) have no impact on Modals. It remains same with Singular or Plural or any Person of the Subject whereas other helping verbs (Is/Are/Am/Has/Have) keep on changing according to the Number and Person of the Subject.
3. Always first form of Main verb is used after Modals.
4. When 'Be/Have' comes between Modal and Verb then 3rd form of the Main verb is used. Such sentences are used in Passive Voice. Exception - in Future Continuous Tense, 'Be' comes with Modals and 'Ing' is added with the Ist form of the Main Verb.
5. Modals do not change their form (spelling / addition of 's', 'ing' or 'en') according to the tense.
6. Infinitive 'To' comes only after two Modals - 'Used To' and 'Ought To'. Infinitive 'To' does not come after other Modals.
7. Modals are auxiliary verbs. They do not need an additional auxiliary verb in negative or interrogative sentence.
1. Modal kaa prayog Mukhya verb ke saath sahaayak kriyaa kee tarah hotaa hai.
2. Kartaa ke number (ekvachan/bahuvachan) aur Person (Ist Person/2nd Person/3rd Person) kaa Modal par koi prabhaav nahee paDataa hai. Yah singular yaa plural yaa Kartaa ke kisee bhee Person ke saath samaan rahataa hai jabki doosaree sahaayak kriyaanye (Is/Are/Am/Has/Have) Kartaa ke Number aur Person ke saath badalatee rahatee hai.
3. Modal ke saath Mukhya verb kee hameshaa pahalee form prayukt hotee hai.
4. Jab Modal aur Verb ke beech 'Be/Have' aataa hai to Mukhya verb kee 3rd form istemaal hotee hai. Aise vaakya passive voice meiN prayukt hote hai. Apvaad - Future Continuous Tense meiN Modal ke saath 'Be' aataa hai aur Mukhya verb ke saath 'Ing' joDaa jaataa hai.
5. Modal Tense ke anusaar apanee form nahee badalate haiN (spelling / 's', 'ing' or 'en' kaa juDanaa)
6. Infinitive 'To' kewal 2 Modal ke baad aataa hai - 'Used To' aur 'Ought To'. Baaki Modal ke baad 'To' nahee lagataa hai.
7. Modal sahaayak kriyaa hai. Nakaaraatamat aur Prashnaatamak vakyoo meiN unhe atirikt sahaayak kriyaa shabd kee jaroorat nahee hotee hai.
Main Modals are - may, might, can, could, will, would, shall, should, must, ought to, dare, need & used to.
TOP : Home : Essential Grammar : Learning Course : Day To Day English : Vocabulary : Sitemap : Privacy : About:Feedback
All Rights are reserved.